How to clean your breast
Mother is good to know that human breastmilk has a lot of bacteria in it normally. For mother, providing breast milk is one of the best treatments mothers can do for their babies growth and health. This can be done directly or by pumping. However, these activities can cause the germs to grow quickly in breast milk or the breast milk residue (remains on pump parts).
The process of breastfeeding is not an easy thing. Especially for new mothers with their first child. For the best development of the baby, breastfeeding is highly recommended. Mothers with their activity working, of course, they have to think about how to maintain breast milk intake for the baby. Now the process of milking breast milk is easier since we can get the various helpful models of breast milk pumps.
Breastmilk pumps are a must-have tool for breastfeeding mothers to increase their milk supply, especially for working mother. In its use, the breastmilk pump must be cleaned properly after used to avoid contamination of germs and fungi.
In 2017, it was found a case of a premature baby suffering from meningitis and damage to brain tissue due to bacterial infections obtained from dairy breast milk. This bacterium called cronobacter sakazakii found in the parts of the mother’s breast milk pump and a dishwasher at her house. Cleaning the breastmilk pump also needs special tips, not to be careless and how to clean it depending on the type and brand. Therefore, make sure the mother understands how to clean the breastmilk pump.
Mother can follow these steps to understand how to clean the breastmilk pump:
- Understand the parts of the breast pump
Read the instructions for the breastmilk pump product used. Which parts should be cleaned and what method is used to clean them. Also check the breastmilk pump kit is dirty or moldy during storage. If the tube is moldy, discard and replace it immediately.
- Separate the parts first
All parts starting from the bottle, funnel, neck, and valve must be cleaned to the maximum. However, some parts don’t need to be washed like a machine. Separate the parts of the breastmilk pump before starting to clean it using water.
One important part of cleaning the breastmilk pump is the sterilization process. This process is very necessary to ensure all bacteria, fungi, and germs die after being sterilized.
Sterilize all parts of the pump affected by breast milk or directly related to the breast before first use. Sterilization can be done in boiling water for 10-20 minutes after boiling water. The part of the not breastfed breast pump or in direct contact with the breast does not need to be sterilized regularly.
- After use, wash into hot/boiled water with soap, then dry it. If the breastmilk pump wants to be used immediately, just wipe it with a tissue until completely dried.
- Every third or fourth use, the mother must re-sterilize all parts of the breastmilk pump.
- Make sure the mother removes all parts of the pump one by one. Do not be lazy to open all parts of the breastmilk pump so that the washing process is more thorough and cleaner.
- Soak the parts of the breastmilk pump that has been released one by one. Use hot water mixed with baby bottle washing soap. This method is important for sterilizing parts of the breastmilk pump.
- Then wash rinse with warm water. Flush again with boiling water to make sure the breastmilk pump is completely sterile and hygienic.
- Use clean tissue or a special clean cloth to wipe it off. Avoid using kitchen rags or ordinary dishwashing cloths because they can contaminate the clean breastmilk pump.
- Routine sterilization
If your child has a yeast infection in his mouth, you should sterilize the breast pump by boiling it and it must be done every day.
- If it is completely dry, replace the parts of the breastmilk pump and store them well before using them again.
- Clean the container and brush used to clean the breastmilk pump. After cleaning, allow the appliance to dry before reuse.
Regarding sterilization itself, several ways can be done. Depends on the instruction manual on each product. Generally, the following methods are often carried out:
- Sterilization by boiling the breast milk pump that you want to sterilize.
- Chemical sterilization by using in plastic containers.
- Using a special microwave steam sterilizer. Not for use on glass breastmilk pumps.
- Steam Sterilization.
Besides needing to know how to clean properly, mothers also need to remember other important things in maintaining the cleanliness of the breastmilk pump. They are:
- Always wash hands with soap then rinse with running water before and after milking the milk
- Do not hold the breast pump part if the hands are dirty.
- This is to ensure that the mother does not contaminate breastmilk that has been squeezed.
- Don’t use breastmilk pumps alternately with other people
- It is best to apply this method of cleaning the breast milk more often if you have a baby under three months, a premature baby, or a baby who has certain health problems.
The main point is to always wash the breastmilk pump after each use. Do not delay the washing of the milk pump because fungi and bacteria can stick and contaminate breast milk for your baby, because the baby still does not have a good immune system. Mothers also need to store milk properly to keep it fresh when consumed by the baby. Ensuring your child gets an exclusive intake of breast milk for 6 months can increase the baby’s body resistance and improve his intelligence.
Also, to cleaning routinely, the mother must also check the machine parts (electrically) of the breastmilk pump regularly. Whereas in manual pumps, what must be examined is the membrane which is usually replaced every six months. Take care of the breast pump you have carefully so that her ability to accommodate breast milk is maintained. By taking proper care and doing it regularly, the breastmilk pump that is owned will be free from harmful germ contamination.